JOIN OUR TEAM AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE
In the UK we are living in desperate and difficult days with recession, rising unemployment, benefit changes, major increases in food prices, and rising utility bills. The Covid-19 pandemic of 2020/2021 further exacerbated the situation and has catapulted us into a possible recession that the UK (and indeed the world) has not experienced or seen the depth of in modern times.
Whilst organisations like Somebody Cares are already contributing on a daily basis an enormous amount of charitable support to Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire, and positively impacting the lives of those who would otherwise be living on the streets, desperately seeking their next hot meal, or scrambling for clothes and a warm bed for their families, this need is only going to increase exponentially over the next few years.
Quite simply, Somebody Cares needs to continue to grow in the support it provides, with even more help from the local communities, supporters, corporate sponsors, charitable foundations, Scottish and Westminster government and both of our hard-working local councils.
We now have a very dynamic management team in place, from the Board of Trustees to the Operation Leads and Management Support Team, who strive to ensure the organisation is run effectively and efficiently in order to support all our employees, volunteers, vulnerable clients and customers.
We also have an excellent team of drivers, sales assistants, foodbank assistants and donations assistants (both employees and volunteers) who continually work together to ensure that Somebody Cares can deliver the best service to the people that need our support, and also the best shopping experience to those who visit our megastore, monthly warehouse sales or (soon to be) online shop.
It is for these reasons that any recruitment we do looks for people who have the right attitude and approach - charitable minded, hard-working team players who are willing to go the extra mile to help us achieve our aims of supporting all those who need our help in Aberdeen and the shire. Joining our team needs to be a two-way process – we want everyone who gives us hours of their time to be able to work to the very best of their ability (and beyond) in an environment that they enjoy turning up to each day, at the same time as feeling that they have achieved their sense of social responsibility and made a real difference to other people’s lives.
POSITION: Retail Assistant x 2
Based At: Hazeldene Road, Aberdeen.
Responsible To: Shop Manager & Assistant Manager
Hours of Work: Varied Monday - Saturday (20hrs pw)
The Retail Assistant is responsible to the Megastore Manager based at Hazeldene Road, Aberdeen. He/she needs to help the Shop Manager achieve the Sales Targets and help ensure that all appropriate standards of health and safety, security and quality are met and ensure donations area is sorted and kept to high standards.
- Processing sales at the till
- Sorting Donations at donations drop off point
- To help the Megastore reach its sales targets
- Giving exceptional customer service at the Megastore
- Having up-to-date product knowledge
- Having a polite phone manner and answering shop phone in a professional way.
- Answering customer questions about Somebody Cares SCIO
- Help ensure the displays are neat, topped-up and correctly priced
- Looking out for shoplifters
- Dealing with customer special requests
- To ensure statutory responsibilities are met concerning fire regulations.
- To report incidents or potential incidents in the Megastore’s premises to the Shop Manager.
- To comply with Somebody Cares SCIO’s Health and Safety Policy.
- Any other duties consistent with the duties and responsibilities of the post.
- Presentable and with approachable demeanour
- Organised, trustworthy and reliable
- Ability to communicate effectively with Customers, volunteers and other members of staff.
- Awareness of relevant Health and Safety requirements.
- Ability to understand the company policies and procedures.
OTHER FEATURES OF THE JOB
Somebody Cares Megastore is open from 09:30 to 16:30 on Monday to Friday and from 10:00 to 17:00 on a Saturday.
It is open on all public and bank holidays apart from 25th and 26th December and 1st and 2nd January. Some flexibility in the working hours will be required from time to time. This job description will be reviewed from time to time and may be updated depending on the
changing needs of the charity.